Housing Premises Injuries – What You Should Know About Toxic Mold

Black mold is dangerous.

Close-up Of A Shocked Woman Looking At Mold On Wall


Toxic mold can be quite irritating and even dangerous to those who touch it. Unfortunately, it can grow in any building – homes, apartments, businesses, workplaces – if moisture is allowed to accumulate inside of them. Typically, mold will thrive on surfaces like wood, ceiling tiles, carpeting, and insulation.

How hazardous are toxic molds, and what are the risks of being exposed to them?

Toxic molds have been causing severe health conditions in humans for hundreds of years. There have been many reports of toxic mold causing severe and even fatal consequences for infants and sensitized individuals in the past decade.

The majority of molds growing in homes do not pose any severe health risks. However, it can cause health problems- Common symptoms include allergies, memory loss, and breathing difficulties. People that have existing respiratory issues, asthma, and babies are at high risk because mold can cause fever and infections within their lungs due to exposure.

Other common symptoms include headaches, eye or nose irritation, and a dry cough. More prolonged exposure to this toxicity can cause more severe health risks such as respiratory problems, lung disease, and brain damage.


How does it grow?

Dangerous types of mold can grow in damp environments in our home or workplace without us even knowing it. They can either occur naturally or through windows, heating, and cooling systems. The spores will settle on moist areas and use building materials such as wallpaper, fiberboard, and drywall to gain nutrients to grow and reproduce. They require cellulose materials and constant moisture to continue to develop.


How It Harms You

Certain molds, such as black molds, can be pretty harmful to humans. Those exposed regularly to such growth may experience several health problems, including:


  • Allergic reactions or worsening of allergy symptoms
  • Headaches
  • Excess drainage
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Fevers
  • Breathing problems
  • Skin irritation
  • Sore throat and coughing
  • Irritated eyes


Those with mold growths in their homes will not only have to deal with the associated medical issues (and bills), but they will also have to pay for the elimination of this infestation. Removing mold colonies can be costly.


What should I do if it is growing in my house?

Talk to a lawyer today to give you professional advice on how to treat and file a good claim for mold injury.


Should I leave my home or office because of toxic mold?

If people in the home or office are sick, you should leave until it is completely removed. Also, the process of removing it may make the home temporarily inhabitable. You can develop life-threatening diseases if you continue to expose yourself to conditions where you are sensitive to chemical substances, fungi, toxic mold, and other airborne pathogens.

Depending upon your reaction to the conditions, you may find it necessary to leave and find a new job.

You can help your colleagues by trying to them themselves, and the building checked and made to comply with EPA standards of clean air. You can go to Workman’s Compensation or Disability if it has made you ill.

Can a lawyer help me?

Yes, you will need to find a personal injury lawyer. Most of the cases regarding toxic mold are based on insurance companies that do not want to pay for the expenses related to having it removed. A lawyer can help you get the money that the insurance company owes to you.

If people have become sick due to toxic mold, a lawyer may build a case against the building owner or manager who failed to maintain the building. If you have had any of these experiences, be sure to contact a lawyer. They may be able to help you!

Things You May Like

You won’t believe how much these attorneys earn monthly nowadays!

Are Diet Pills Worth It?

Join Us On Facebook